“83 Chibok Girls will be released in the next batch”
The Federal Government in conjunction with negotiators has not relented to expedite the release of another batch of 83 Chibok Girls, Nigeria’s Senator Shehu Sani stated on Tuesday.
Sani, Chairman, Senate Committee on Local and Foreign Debts, spoke on SunRiseDaily, a breakfast show on Nigeria’s 24/7 News Tv station Channels.
He said the release of the 21 Chibok Girls the country and the entire world witnessed on October 13, 2016, was a plan that had been orchestrated two years ago.
“The release of the 21 Chibok Girls we all witnessed last time didn’t happen in a day, we’ve been on it for close to two years,” Sani said.
Terms of negotiations
Shehu Sani was silent when he’s asked whether Muhammadu Buhari-led government paid a ransom for the release of the girls, “there has been in the news, speculations that some Boko Haram commanders were traded off for the release of the 21 freed Chibok Girls, no Boko Haram commander was released as a means of exchange (Human-for-Prisoners Exchange), but there were terms which were implemented for the release of the girls.”
He said the release of the first batch of the 21 Chibok Girls was as a result of the commitment on the part of Federal Government, negotiators, SSS and other security agencies.
“There was no trust in the past that’s one of the reasons negotiations failed. Some people who claimed to have link with the genuine Boko Haram faction holding the girls were only trying to exploit the process,” Senator Sani said.
How soon will the remaining Chibok Girls gain freedom?
Sani said he wouldn’t like to preempt, “we’re working hard to make sure that another batch of Chibok Girls are released as soon as possible, if terms are strictly adhered to by both parties.”