#NYSCBatchAStream2 | #Nysc2018OrientationCamp
The management of National Youths Service Corps (NYSC) has officially released date for orientation course for the 2018 Batch ‘A’ Stream II.
In an update on the NYSC dashboard of one of the Prospective Corps Members, who was last week informed that she’s not mobilised for Stream I:
“Your Orientation Course has been scheduled for July, 2018. You will be notified when to print your call-up letter.”
What is NYSC Orientation Course?
NYSC Orientation course is a programme organised for mobilised corps members on the activities of the National Youths Corps Service, where they are trained on how to be self-suffient, trianined on leadership skills, and how to live with one another irrespective of culture, religion, colour, and political affiliations.
NYSC Orientation course is for qualified graduates, who are not above 30 years, and medically fit to serve his fatherland.
Former Nigeria military head is state, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, came up with the idea of NYSC: to foster national unity and coherence irrespective of culture, race, religion, and norms.
The exercise has 37 Orientation camps across the country, where graduates are posted to serve their fatherland.
It has four sections, one of which is orientation camp exercise, which is a prelude to their posting to various Place of Primary Assignment in their respective state of service.
Things to note about NYSC Orientation Camp
1) You’ll be registered before allowed into the camp, it is after registration you’re allocated your own hall or residence within the camp.
2) You don’t have privacy as you will find yourself living with (possibly more than 10) persons under the same roof. Prepare to be hospitable and friendly.
3) Your Khaki I.e NYSC uniform will be given to you at the camp. Good enough, the management has undertaken a massive technological development lately, you’ve chosen your size during online registration.
This will definitely ease other modes of registration when camp opens.
4) You’re to take along with you to the camp the following documents:
Call-up letter (please do not laminate this document) (for both Nigerian and foreign graduates)
- Institutions ID card
- Original certificates/statement of result
Please check other requirements for foreign graduates and other with professional courses below in one of our previous posts.
5) After your registration at the camp, you’ll be given:
- State code number for easy identification, which you’re required to wear every time on camp.
- A meal ticket (or meal card): NYSC meal ticket will allow you have access to feeding provided by the management on camp.
Three meals are provided on camp for you. However, it’s not a must to take NYSC meals, in as much you’re financially buoyant to take care of your feeding.
- A file in which you can put all your credentials
- Registration of your name in what is referred to as the “Book Of Life”
6) There is access to information on camp even though you may not find newspaper vendor, however, Orientation Broadcasting Services (OBS) is there to keep you informed every minute.
OBS is NYSC camp radio station. It disseminates information throughout the camp. This enhances the quick and easy flow of information and this service is managed by the public relations committee.
Fellow corps members run the OBS, under the supervision of the NYSC public relation unit. Staff members are screened before they’re accepted into the broadcasting service.
If you have passion for journalism or you’re a good reader you are free to apply. It doesn’t have to do with your discipline.
We’ve seen biology graduates who read perfectly well than English or Mass Communication graduates, so it’s opened to everyone.
7) Two major faiths are recognised on camp: Christianity and Islams.
8) There is maximum security on camp provided by virtually all the military and paramilitary apparatus.
However, you’re advised to take your own personal security very important.
9) There is medical centre at each Orientation camps nationwide to take care of ailing corps members. Critical cases are referred to certified medical centre in the state.
10) There is an official market on camp called “MAMMY MARKET” where you can buy every legal consumables you needed during your stay at the orientation camp.
Mode of Dressing at NYSC Orientation Camp
The official dressing for all corps members is NYSC kits, which wil be given to you after completion of registration, they include:
- Plain vests
- 1 Youth Corps cap
- 1 Khaki shirt and a trouser
- 1 Youth Corps belt
- 1 pair of jungle boots
- 2 P.E. shorts
- 1 vest with NYSC emblem
- 1 pair of white canvas shoes
- 2 pairs of stockings
Some of the activities on camp include:
- Military parade/drills
- Man O War activities
- Social activities
- Endurance trek
- Entrepreneurial skills and trainings
Some NYSC rules and regulations at the Orientation Camps:
- Cultism is a taboo on camp. It is highly prohibited
- Drug addiction has no place at the camp
- Stealing is an abomination on camp. Do not attempt it.
- Rioting/demonstration and the likes are not part of paramilitary
- Group meetings are not allowed on camp unless it’s approved by the management
- Rape is a serious crime against humanity
- Fighting on camp attracts severe penalty
- Taking double ration of food makes one liable for surcharge
- Flippancy and unguarded utterances attract severe punishment
- Avoid rumour mongering, always seek information at the appropriate quarters.
- Smoking/chewing of gum are not allowed on parade
- Always observe the lights-out instruction
- Discipline is the watchword in NYSC
Youths obey the clarion call
Let us lift our nation high
Under the sun or in the rain
With dedication and selflessness
Nigeria is ours, Nigeria we serve
Member take the great salute
Put the nation first in all
With service and humanity
NYSC for the noble youth
Make Nigeria a great nation
Far and near we come to serve
And to build our fatherland
With oneness and loyalty
NYSC for unity
Hail Nigeria our great nation.
You’ll be thought the NYSC anthem when you’re accepted into the camp, which will be sang every morning at parade ground till the end of your stay at the Orientation camp.
Do you have question on this? Talk to us or head straight to NYSC official social media channels.
All the best.