President Muhammadu Buhari during May 29 Democracy Day broadcast in 2016, rolled out his N500billion Social Investment Programmes (SIP).
announced that N-power, a job initiative programme aimed at engaging and empowering 500,000 Nigerian youths would address the issue of unemployment.
A year after npower application accepted submission of online applications, it’s reopening for SECOND PHASE on June 13, 2017.
In case you’re just applying, or you’re hearing about N-power scheme for the first time, here are the 20 FACTS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT N-POWER JOB INITIATIVE PROGRAMME
1) Npower programme is the job initiative programme of All Progressive Congress-led government.
2) N-power online job application portal npower.gov.ng came live on the world wide web on Saturday, June 11, 2016.
3) The job application portal began receiving first phase of applications on June 12, 2016.
4) Npower main portal npower.gov.ng was overwhelmed due to unprecedented traffic and applications it received from unemployed Nigerian youths. It crashed severally until SIP, npower mother, came up with an alternative application submission portal name portal.npower.gov.ng
5) N-power is an arm of Social Investment Programme (SIP). other arms include Home Grown School Feeding Programme (HGSFP), Government Enterprises Entrepreneurship Programme (GEEP), and Conditional Cash Transfer (CCT).
6) Of all the four arms that make up the SIP, Npower programme alone has gulped more budget than other three arms combined. As at May,2017 it had gulped #26.418 billion; GEEP #7.301 billion; HGSFP #7.092 billion; while CCT got #800million.
7) During the first phase, npower is currently engaging 200,000.
8) The National Headquarters of Npower is domiciled directly under the office of the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo in Aso Rock Villa, Abuja.
9) It paid its first phase of volunteers in December 2016.
10) 365 days after, its portal will be reopening on June 13,2017 to take another 300,000 Nigerian youths in what Prof. Osinbajo called second phase on May 29, 2017.
11) Npower has three major categories: The Enablers (N-Teach, N-Health, N-Agro, N-Community Education); The Innovators (N-power creative, N-power Tech Hardware, N-power Tech software); and The Builders.
12) N-power Teach has the highest number of volunteers so far. It is currently engaging 150, 000 youths, N-Health and N-Agro have 50,000 combined.
13) Npower alone operates one mother domain (npower.gov.ng) and three other sub domains: support.npvn.ng, npvn.npower.gov.ng, and portal.npower.gov.ng
14) Each of its volunteers receives #30,000 as monthly stipend. Those who started receiving stipend from December 2016 have got six uninterrupted monthly stipend, amouting to #90,000 so far by each of them.
15) Npower programme is the largest direct job creation initiative ever created by any administration in the history of Nigeria.
16) It is the fairest Federal Government Job programme in the history of vacancies in government job. No bribery, no political influence needed to be considered.
17) It’s the first Federal government’s job programme that gave Nigerian youths hope that with good leadership Nigeria can get it right.
18) It’s one of the major programme of APC that received applauds from the opposition party.
19) It’ll only engage volunteers for a period of two years, which isn’t renewable.
20) Above all, the programme has given the government real insight the level of unemployment in Nigeria.