“I said from the beginning it is not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom, it’s the constitution.”
US President Donald Trump may have more internal battle to face in terms of his immigration ban on some Muslim-dominated countries.
Last week the controversial and billionaire-turned politician fired US acting Attorney General, Sally Yates, for her open criticism on the immigration ban.
Yates was later nominated for JKF Courage Award.
This time, another embodiment of law, a federal judge has put a nationwide block on Trump’s week-old executive order.
The temporary restraining order was issued by US District Judge James Robart in Seattle on Friday.
The restraining order is expected to remain valid nationwide pending a full review of a complaint by Washington attorney general Bob Ferguson.
“The constitution prevailed today,” Ferguson said, describing the judge’s decision as historic. “No one is above the law – not even the president.
“While the order doesn’t bar all Muslims from entering the US, barring immigration entry from seven majority-Muslim countries, especially when paired with his national security team’s record of Islamophobia, leaves no doubt that Muslims are the target of this order.”
“I said from the beginning it is not the loudest voice that prevails in a courtroom, it’s the constitution,” he added, pointing out that Robart was appointed by Republican president George W Bush, AlJazeera reports.
Robart ‘s ruling means that anyone with a valid visa must be allowed entry into the country by Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
The US state department is working with the Department of Homeland Security to work out how Friday’s ruling affects its operations, a spokesman told Reuters news agency, and will announce any changes affecting travellers as soon as information is available.
The White House said it would file an appeal as soon as possible.
“At the earliest possible time, the Department of Justice intends to file an emergency stay of this outrageous order and defend the executive order of the president, which we believe is lawful and appropriate,” the White House said in a statement.
“The president’s order is intended to protect the homeland and he has the constitutional authority and responsibility to protect the American people.”
Robart’s decision came after Ferguson filed a suit to invalidate key provisions of Trump’s executive order, which bars Syrian refugees indefinitely and blocks citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen from entry into the US for 90 days. Refugees from countries other than Syria are barred from entry for 120 days.
The state department said on Friday that up to 60,000 foreigners from the seven countries concerned had their visas cancelled as a result of the order. A justice department attorney, however, told a court hearing in Virginia that about 100,000 visas had been revoked.
The immigration ban which has provoked international protests and verbal attacks from affected countries and other countries of the World is expected to continue.