How to prepare groundnut or peanut soup
If you’ve been hearing about Africa’s groundnut soup, also known as peanut soup, but don’t really know how to prepare it, this is the step-by-step guide on how to prepare groundnut or peanut soup.
Groundnut soup (peanut soup) is a popular soup in Edo State.
– 500g raw peeled groundnuts
– Assorted meat and dry fish
– palm oil
– Bitterleaf or moringa leaf
– 2 tablespoons ground crayfish
– Salt, maggi and pepper to taste
Moringa leaves help to reduce the cholesterol content of the groundnut soup when consumed while bitter leaves help tone down the sweetness of the soup.
Palm oil mainly adds colour and sometimes taste to the soup.
Before you prepare your groundnut soup :
1. Soak the dry fish for few hours. The length of the time depends on how hard the dry fish is; sometimes I boiled when I have limited time, it’s faster.
When soft, clean the fish remove the bones and separate them into small pieces.
2. Roast the raw groundnuts in a pan, stirring constantly till they turn light brown. Set aside to cool down completely then grind into powder with a dry mill.
3. Wash bitter leaf or moringa leaves thoroughly.
4. Prepare other ingredients: grind the pepper and crayfish.
Groundnut soup cooking directions
1. Boil dry fish. Always keep water same level as the contents of the pot and top it up as you cook. When the dry fish is almost done add beef and cook till all the meat and fish are well done.
2. Add the crayfish, pepper, salt and maggi. Cover and cook till it boils.
3. Transfer the fish to another pot/container leaving the meat in the pot.
Note: I do that to prevent further breakage of the fish in the soup
4. Add the groundnut and stir very well till there are no lumps. Reduce the heat to very low temperature and start cooking.
5. Stir every five minutes and top up the water if necessary. This mixture burns easily so watch it closely and stir as often as necessary.
6. Cook till a thin film of clear oil appears on the surface. This should take about 15 minutes. Add palm oil and stir very well.
7. Add the fish, stir and cook on low heat till it boils.
8. Add the vegetables, stir and leave to simmer.
Serve groundnut soup with “fufu”. As for me I enjoy eating it with pounded yam
Feel the aroma next time!
To stay up-to-date join infobase social media platforms
Like us on Facebook: @infobasecomng
Follow us on Google Plus
Follow us on Twitter: @infobasecomng
Follow us on Instagram: @infobasenig