- 3 senior prisons officers in Kuje prisons
- 3 senior prison officers in Koton Karfe prisons
- 7 junior prison officers in Kuje prisons
- 10 junior staff serving in Koton Karfe prisons affected
- Dismissal letters approved on August 11, 2016 at an emergency meeting
The Federal Government has announced the dismissal of 23 prisons officers, while 11 others were suspended for alleged complicity in jail-breaks at Kuje Medium Security Prisons, Abuja and Koton-Karfe Prisons, Kogi, respectively.
A statement on Monday in Abuja by the Public Relations officer of the Nigerian Prisons Service, Francis Enobore, said three senior prisons officers serving in Kuje prison and another three senior officers in Koton Karfe prison were given sacked letters dated August 12.
The Secretary to the Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prisons Services Board the Board, Alhaji A A Ibrahim, signed the letters that dismissed them from service for their complicity in the escape of prisoners from the respective prisons.
The prison officers were dismissed over allegation of misconduct and negligence of duty “in line with the provision of the Public Service Rule 030402 (O) being an action prejudicial to the security of the State.”
Also, the Controller-General of Prisons, Ahmed Ja’afaru, also approved the dismissal of seven junior prison officers serving in Kuje prisons and 10 other junior staff serving in Koton Karfe prison, who were also implicated in the escape saga.
The affected officers were directed to hand over all government properties in their possession to their immediate superior.
In a related development, the officer in charge of Nsukka Prison DCP Okonkwo Lawrence and 10 others have been suspended following the escape of 15 inmates from the prison last week.
The suspension is to allow for detailed and uninterrupted investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident in order to facilitate appropriate action by the prison authorities.
The CG, had in the wake of the incessant escape of prisoners from some prisons in the country, convened an emergency meeting of Command Officers and 241 officers in charge of prisons across the country to reassess security measures for safe keeping of prisoners.
The prison service stated that a number of escapees have been recaptured, adding that efforts are still being made to ensure that all the fugitives were apprehended and returned to prison custody.
“The Controller General wishes to assure all officers and men of the Nigerian Prisons Service of his readiness to support and encourage hard work and dedication to duty but frowns at acts of negligence capable of embarrassing the Service and the nation at large,” it said.
Ja’afaru appreciated the collaboration of security agencies, vigilance groups and members of the public for their support, saying, “All necessary measures are being put in place to guarantee security of prisons inmates.”