General News

2000 irregular Nigeria Immigration recruits to be re-screened Aug. 29 to Sept.4

Photo credit: nigeriaschool.com.ng
  • NIS will not accept fresh applications
  • Re-screening guidelines include security clearance, drug test, certificate verification

The Nigeria Immigration Service has declared that it has concluded plans to re-screen the 2,000 recruits that were dismissed following their “irregular” letters of appointment in February 2015.

This declaration ends rumours of fresh applications by the Nigeria Immigration Service which has been in circulation for weeks.

According a statement signed by NIS spokesperson, Ekpedeme King, the screening would be conducted in batches based on rank and state of origin from Aug. 29 to Sept. 4 in Abuja, “the exercise is not a call for fresh recruitment.”

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) quoted the Controller-General of the Service Muhammad Babandede as saying, “The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) wishes to inform the 2000 applicants for employment into the Service who were irregularly issued letters of employment in February 2015 that the Federal Government has approved the review of the case.

“Following an emergency meeting of the Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration, and Prisons Services Board (CDFIPB) on Aug.11, 2016, guidelines were issued for the screening of the applicants,’’ he said.

 

Re-screening guidelines

The Immigration spokesperson said that part of the guidelines were security clearance, drug test, certificate verification and Implementation of CDFIPB policy on “Age on Rank.”

The NIS boss stated that only those whose names were listed on the NIS website at www.immigration.gov.ng should report to the NIS Headquarters in Abuja with their credentials and two passport photographs.

He urged those whose names were not listed on the NIS websites not to bother themselves with fresh applications.

The 2000 dismissed recruits had been protesting at the National Assembly and the Ministry of Interior since 2015 for their reinstatement.

They were employed by a Presidential Committee set up by former President Goodluck Jonathan in 2015 following the tragedy that marred the March 2014 recruitment exercise where many candidates died and others sustained injuries.

 

Topics