August 7, 2016: Applications due
End of July – September 2016: Review applications and update application status to candidates
August – September 2016: Contact all shortlisted candidates and conduct interviews in Washington, D.C. and locations in Africa
At least 20 years of relevant experience + advanced degree
IFC’s Global Oil & Gas team within the Global Infrastructure and Natural Resources Department supports the World Bank Group’s aim of improving access to efficient, reliable and affordable energy for the poor in emerging markets.
The Global Oil & Gas team is responsible for managing IFC’s investment activities in the areas of upstream exploration and production, midstream (gas pipelines, LNG liquefaction and regasification), downstream gas distribution, and oilfield services.
The team works with a wide range of investment products, from project finance and reserve-based lending on the debt side, to equity and quasi-equity in private and listed companies. In line with IFC’s global strategy in the energy sector, IFC’s O&G team has been increasingly focused on projects that promote the use of natural gas as a cleaner form of fuel to substitute coal, oil, or biomass, with an objective to reduce local pollutions, avoid carbon emissions, and improve people’s lives.
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it is needed most. In FY15, our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $18 billion, leveraging our capital, expertise and influence to help the private sector end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
IFC has been actively looking for opportunities along the whole value chain of natural gas, i.e. gas production, LNG liquefaction and regasification, gas-to-power, city gas distribution, and LNG/CNG vehicle fueling stations. To support the growth of this business, IFC is seeking a highly experienced candidate with a solid technical background and sound business judgment for the position of Senior / Principal Industry Specialist.
The World Bank Group offers a stimulating work environment and internationally competitive conditions.
Duties and Accountabilities
- The Industry Specialist will serve as the IFC Oil & Gas team’s lead in-house technical specialist on gas projects and associated applications, including midstream gas pipeline development, LNG liquefaction and regasification facilities, city gas distributions, LNG trucking, and LNG/CNG vehicle fueling stations.
- As a member of multi-disciplinary teams, the successful candidate will look for, screen, appraise, and supervise projects in midstream and downstream gas sectors
- Participate in business development to build a strong pipeline of investment opportunities
- Assess the technical and commercial merits of gas projects, as well as the quality of potential investee management and technical teams, to assist in the early stage screening and detailed due diligence of investment proposals
- Coordinate and manage the engagement and work product of independent technical specialists hired as owners’ and lenders’ engineers in equity and debt transactions
- Assist in portfolio management, through monitoring and supervision of projects which IFC finances, periodic site visits, regular review of project progress, and coordination with the financiers/banks with whom IFC co-invests
- Contribute to the oil & gas team’s knowledge management, through the development of case studies, preparation and leading of industry overviews and primers, and on-the-job mentoring of non-technical staff
- Coordinate closely with environmental and social specialists in order to identify and mitigate risks and add value to our clients’ businesses.
- Extensive international travel required.
- An advanced degree in petroleum, chemical, mechanical or maritime engineering and/or business.
- Minimum 20 years of international operational/managerial experience with oil & gas companies and familiarity with the key business aspects of LNG and gas mid and down-stream projects.
- Experience in the engineering design, costing, planning, procurement, construction, implementation and operation of gas supply chain projects, particularly in LNG liquefaction and/or regasification projects, either floating or land-based.
- Experience in gas supply chain business development, deep understanding in both international and regional gas market dynamics, including the global trade of LNG and its implications for regional markets, competitiveness of natural gas/LNG as compared to other fuel alternatives, key economic and technical drivers of developing LNG projects, project contracting along the value chain, etc.
- Qualifications must include computer literacy in relevant scientific/technical software, excellent communication skills both written and verbal in English.
- Fluency in other languages is a plus.
Create an account with an active email address and submit application